Monday, May 19, 2014

MYST #5: Neighbors



    Over this past weekend, I decided to go old fashioned and go to a real movie theater, pay ten dollars, and see a movie. I can't even remember the last one I saw before this in theaters. Of course, we all probably knew what drew me in. Zac Efron AND Dave Franco. There's a cast for you. I obviously expected this movie to be just like any other of the sort-- funny, maybe stupid at times, unrealistic, etc. It was those things, but I also enjoyed it a lot more than some other movies like it. From what I've heard from friends that have also seen it, people seem to say it was surprisingly better than expected.

    Critics also seem to be responding to it surprisingly well. On rottentomatoes.com, it got a 74%, compared to Zac Efron's last similar "blockbuster" film, That Awkward Moment, which received a hurtfully low 22%. The movie also stars Rose Byrne and Seth Rogen as the neighbors of Efron and Franco, and critics say that their performances are some of the best. I have to agree that they have great chemistry and both do a fantastic job of playing their characters-- they really made me laugh. It actually kind of surprised me that Rose Byrne could be so funny. 

    The plot of the movie is pretty simple. Shortly after Mac (Rogen) and Kelly (Byrne) move into a seemingly perfect house with their new-born baby, they go outside to see moving trucks pulling in. They quickly realize that their new neighbors are a fraternity from the local university. At first, they try to act cool and even party with seniors and President/Vice President duo Teddy (Efron) and Pete (Franco). Soon after, things start to be unbearable as the frat throws parties every night and keep their baby awake, so the couple calls the police (the one thing they said they wouldn't do). From there, the rest of the movie is basically a back and forth of which group can out-prank the other. 



 I think the director did a good job of mixing humor and really storyline and there are actually very interesting and more complex relationships and conflicts. It's definitely no Oscar winner, but it is a major step up from a lot of other "comedies" that continue to be made, especially in summer. Specifically, Teddy and Pete's relationship is more complex than you would expect. You'd think they'd just be classic frat "bros" that only care about how much they can drink and how many girls they can sleep with. But, you can tell that they actually care about each other and take the idea of fraternity and brotherhood seriously. I also feel like there is some criticism of the Greek system, so the movie also makes a bit of a statement.

    I would definitely recommend getting to the theater to see this if you enjoy laugh out loud humor and an attractive cast. 

I give it a B+ 




1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you wrote a review on this because I absolutely loved the movie! Seth Rogen is one of my favorites and I think what he did here was absolutely amazing. He was able to take his typical humor and bring in people such as Efron and Franco who did surprisingly well with Rogen. The chemistry of the cast was great and so was the whole idea. I agree with you completely. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete