Sunday, March 23, 2014

MYST #2: August Rush

    I've actually seen this movie before, but not for a very long time so I decided to watch it again and see if I liked it as much as I remember-- and I did. I actually think this might be one of my favorite movies. For some reason they only give it a 37% on Rotten Tomatoes, but I think it deserves a lot more than that.



    It came out in 2007 (and I always underestimate how long ago that was), and stars a young Freddie Highmore (The Art of Getting By), Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, Keri Russell and Robin Williams (randomly). It blends a love story with a coming of age tale, and of course throws in some humor. Basically what happens is this: Louis, a struggling musician, has a whirlwind one-night-stand with Lyla, a violinist, that turns into them liking each other a lot. Of course, Lyla's father hates the idea of her being with a "no-good" guitarist, and tells her to just focus on her violin career. It turns out that Lyla is pregnant, but Louis has no idea as they're unable to make contact again. 

    I don't want to give too much away, but the movie flashes to eleven years later and the now-grown Evan is in a boys home somewhere in the middle of nowhere and Lyla and Louis have no idea he even exists (I guess you'll have to watch to find out why). The story follows his journey as he escapes the home and goes to look for his parents in New York City, guided by his connection to music. Lyla discovers that Evan is out there, and she goes on a journey to find him. During all this, Louis and Lyla can't stop thinking about each other, and are trying to find each other and reconnect. Evan is taught to play guitar by Robin Williams' character, who gives him the stage name "August Rush," and somehow ends up being discovered by a Julliard teacher and studies there. 
     
I know it probably sounds kind of cheesy, but I promise it's worth the watch. There's something so heartwarming about how much Evan loves his parents without even knowing them, and somehow knows they loved him back and didn't just give him away for no reason. He's so hopeful and optimistic, that it makes you be that way, too, if only during the 114 minutes of the movie. Also, the relationship between Lyla and Louis is not so cookie-cutter "romantic." It's different, which makes you root for them even more.

    It was directed by Kirsten Sheridan, who only has about four other credits, but I think she did a great job. There's sort of a magical element to the movie in the way that Evan can "hear" his parents through music he hears through things like electrical wires and high grass, but it's still believable. The viewer doesn't doubt that it's real life. 
  
  I promise, the ending scene will make you cry, but out of happiness. This movie truly is heartwarming and inspiring. 

I give it an A



No comments:

Post a Comment