Sunday, March 23, 2014

MYST #3: Stuck in Love


    This is a movie that came up on my selections on Netflix instant, so I decided to watch it, and I ended up liking this one a lot too! It didn't get very good reviews, but I guess that doesn't really reflect my interests because I always end up liking movies that don't do well in the reviews. This was a very small release, more independent film, so I don't think a lot of people have seen it, but they should. I definitely think it's worth watching if you have a little time to spare. 

    Despite not having great reviews, Stuck in Love was a 2012 Toronto Film Festival official selection and has a star-studded cast including Greg Kinnear, Kirsten Bell, Jennifer Connelly (Academy Award winner), Lily Collins (who I love), Nat Wolff (Naked Brothers Band, anyone?) and Logan Lerman (who I also love).

   It has the appeal of a classic rom-com, but is much more complex. Each character is struggling with their own demons, all which have to do with love, and they all deal with them in different ways. It's a film about family, but also about romance. The characters are kinda weird, but also lovable. Watching it, I just wanted things to work out for all of them. It basically follows a family of writers, and all their love lives. The dad (Kinnear) is still hopelessly in love with their mom, almost to an unhealthy level-- he's often caught at her house uninvited. His daughter Samantha (Lily Collins) has given up on love and is a fan of meaningless one-night stands, until she meets Louis (Logan Lerman). And his high school aged son Rusty (Wolff) is in love with the popular girl, who has a boyfriend. 

    Seeing the three stories unfold simultaneously is really appealing  because you don't get bored with any of them and you're always interested in what's going to happen next. It's also interesting that they're all writers. Their dad makes them keep journals, and always checks to make sure they're writing in them, sometimes overstepping his boundaries and reading entries, which of course makes the kids extremely mad. Even though the three of them are very different, their stories also have common characteristics. 


    The film is directed and written by Josh Boone, who is also directing the highly anticipated The Fault in Our Stars starring Shailene Woodley. I think he did a great job directing this movie, because it steers away from the typical love story and is instead fresh and interesting, and leaves you satisfied at the end (mostly). If you like indy movies that are a little different but also normal enough to be appealing, this is a great one for you.


I give it an A-

2 comments:

  1. Great energy, great job with these reviews. This one sounds really pretty interesting, and you make a very convincing argument for it. I hadn't heard of it, but you definitely make it sound good. Maybe I'll throw it on my list. Keep up the good work with your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you reviewed this because this is one of my favorite indy films! I have seen it about four times because I think it is so beautifully done. I love all the actors, just like you, and thought the story was well told. Love the review!

    ReplyDelete